I am so pleased that I have finished the top piece for my winter rosettes quilt that I’ve been diligently piecing together for weeks and weeks. I’m proud as the proverbial peacock, as pleased as punch, as positive as a parakeet, and… as pickled as a pig’s foot. Yes, pickled. I’ve been so anxious about this quilt since I realized exactly how difficult it was that I feel quite pickled.
Despite my best efforts and double and triple checking that I was accurately sewing a ¼ inch seam and following directions, several of the pieced units for the quilt came out with the wrong dimensions. So, I spent forever and a day worrying how the blocks would look with the slightly wrong-dimensioned units. Then I made the blocks, fudged in a few places as best I could, and I was darn pleased with myself. I have never made more complicated blocks before! Go me! Rawr!
Once I started sewing the blocks together in rows, that anxiety about the finished product was back! The rows were sewn offset with diagonal rather than horizontal or vertical seams. And I had to square the quilt as I’ve never squared a quilt before. Instead of edges that were more or less already straight, these edges were diamond ridges of fabric squares. Yikes! And I was supposed to do this while leaving a ¼ inch seam allowance to hit the diamonds at their points. Yeah, let’s just say the quilt is square(ish) and not look too closely for points around the edges. I struggled, and something had to give.
I thought sewing the borders on would be easier since I spent so much time making the quilt into its beautiful square(ish) shape. Not so much. The inner blue border gave me a lot of problems because some of those units were slightly off. I had to go back and fudge a little more cutting inward into the rosettes center to cover up places where two of my units didn’t quite overlap at the edges as they should have; it was noticeable. This fudging has created a slight ripple or ruffle in the outer border.
I had already been worried about using my novice free-motion quilting skills on such a beautiful quilt, but now I’m even more worried about how to ensure that it lies sufficiently flat while I’m using those novice free-motion skills. Each step of this quilt (aside from buying it, no qualms there, ha!) has brought a new anxiety about how it’ll look, how it’ll come together, or whether I’ve screwed it up. For the most part, I really haven’t blundered seriously. It looks good. Really good. Which is exactly why I’ve been anxious about it: I don’t want to screw it up.
Still, I should be focusing more on the pride rather than the anxiety because I do have good reasons to be proud. More importantly, I need to keep this quilt in perspective: it’s a quilt that I’m going to use. This is not a quilt for the closet. Sure, I’ve labored over it, but I’m not about to never use it after finishing it. To never use something you love and have poured effort into seems ridiculous even if in using it you expose it to potential calamities, like spilled cups of coffee or a cat’s hairball. That’s how life works.
Besides, as my husband has said, I’ve certainly gotten sufficient bang for the crafting buck out of this pattern. So, no matter what happens to the future of this lovely winter-themed throw quilt, no matter what kinds of fatal flaws I inflict on it while I’m free-motion quilting, no matter how many pretend arguments my husband and I have about whose turn it is to use the throw, I’m going to focus on the pride rather than the anxiety. After all, life happens. Which is exactly why we need crafting projects.
Non sequitur: I need to stop taking photos with my phone; the quality is so poor – sorry!